Thrift stores have been making a comeback lately. I for one am all for thrift stores! Depending on where you live also makes all the difference with how great your thrift store experience will be. Whether you are looking for clothes, house hold knick knacks, even furniture the thrift store has everything you need. The reason most people hate the thrift store or why they can never find any cool things are 1. They are in a hurry 2. They look through a few thing and decide that its overwhelming and leave. 3. They feel like they are too good for the thrift store. Don’t be those people
How to navigate through the thrift store like a BOSS!
- Know what you’re looking for- Its very easy to get distracted in a thrift store, its cluttered and overwhelming, but this doesn’t give you permission to just pick up any and everything. (I sound like somebody’s mother right now lol) Know what you are looking for and only shop in those areas.
- Set a budget- Whether it be $20 or $50 STICK TO THE BUDGET! I know I sound a bit harsh, but you’ll thank me later 🙂
- Stick to the plan- This refers back to number 1&2. Don’t just pick up everything you see because 9 times out of 10 you’ll never wear it or use it. Trust me on this!
- Wear slightly tight clothing- All thrift store don’t have a dressing room so if you want to make sure you have the right fit you can just slip on the items in the aisle (I’ve done this before and I’m not ashamed to admit it)
- Know your size-All clothing does not run true to size, and you don’t want to waste money on something you won’t get any use out of.
- Wash everything before you wear it- That’s a no brainer right? You don’t know where the items have been so PLEASE wash everything before you wear it out.
- Look for deals- Believe it or not most thrift stores have sale.. You are probably thinking “Its a thrift store everything is already on sale.” I thought the same thing. As you enter the thrift store look at the front door, that’s where they will most likely post all the sales. They will say something like “All red tag items 99 cents.” If you forget to look at the door on your way in, ask one of the cashiers if there is a sale going on.
- Check for holes, rips and stains- You might find that really cute jacket that you just can’t let go of, but once you take it home you realize there’s a gigantic hole in the pocket. Or you find this super gorgeous dress and you take it home to find out there’s a stain on the bottom of it. Now if you’re ok with that then by all means go ahead and buy it, but these are the things you should look at.
- Don’t rush!- I can’t stress this enough. If you have other things you need to do first, do those things first because you will need at least 1-2 hours to fully look around.
Are you still there? I hope so! Here are two things you should NEVER buy at the thrift store…1. Makeup, because more than likely its expired. 2. Underwear, because well that’s just unsanitary
See ya soon